The Invisible War at Work
There is a war going on at work that may not be taking lives, but it is certainly taking prisoners. What makes this war so insidious is that, for most of us, it is invisible. To make sure we are on the same page, let me give you a few highlights of the war at work:
- A battle of boredom, disengagement, and in extreme situations, sabotage;
- A battle of distrust of managers, peers, and subordinates;
- A battle of freedom without responsibility and responsibility without freedom;
- A battle of drama, politics, and emotion; and
- A battle of fear, pride, and ego.
What are the consequences of this war?
The biggest ramification is the imperceptible but constant way it stops organizations in their tracks. It is a distraction, it is a productivity killer, it is a waste of time. Unfortunately, its carnage doesn't stop there. It stops people from progressing, from becoming more effective and capable. It burns people out. And more often that anyone would care to admit, it fries us emotionally.
Take a stand!
Take time today to recognize the battle being fought in your organization and then take a stand against it. Take a stand against disengagement, distrust, drama, and fear. Speak up, call a spade a spade, and give others a blast of integrity and authenticity so they can recognize just how pathetic and pointless the battles they are waging really are.
Take a stand, the journey is worth it!