6 Tips for Building Energy and Passion
Without energy we’re nothing but a bunch of dust. The same can be said for teams and organizations. Here are six favorite tips for building energy and passion in your organization.
- Most importantly… BE PASSIONATE AND ENERGIZED YOURSELF. Don’t hide it, let it all hang out. Passion and energy are contagious, but they have to feel your passion. It’s not just words, it’s the smile on your face, your open body language, and sincere desire to share your energy with others. Opening up deepens relationships and expands energy.
- What is your team’s vision? If you don’t have one, there’s nothing to catalyze energy around. Passion and energy start with a vision… and not just a company vision, but a vision for your team and yourself.
- Help everyone on the team understand how the vision will benefit them. If they don’t see the impact, there’s no motivation. Have team help you establish vision. Participation in the process builds buy-in.
- Accountability builds commitment and commitment creates energy. Make sure that every member of your team has goals and owns something of meaning for them.
- Actively listen to people. You’re a coach and a problem solver, not a commander. Find out what’s going on in their lives at work and personally and then make a difference where you can.
- Frequently and publicly praise solid effort. The carrot is stronger than the stick. An ideal ratio is 10:1. If you need to correct someone, do it in private.